There are two ways to restore a Windows 8.1 device to the factory default settings.
- The first option, "Refresh," will restore the device to the default operating system, although it won’t remove pictures or documents.
- The second option, "Remove," will remove all data, and return the device to a completely default state.
To begin restoring using either option, simply follow these steps:
- Swipe from the right to open the "Charms" bar
- Then select "Settings"
- Open "Change PC Settings"
- Select "Update and Recovery"
- Select "Recovery"
- Then follow the relevant step, depending on your preference:
- To restore the system to defaults without removing user data, select "Refresh your PC without affecting your files"
- To remove all data, and restore the device to 'like-new,' select "Remove everything and reinstall Windows"